Dental caries is a major cause of concern amongst children and adults. The survey conducted by National Institute of Dental and Carniofacial Research shows 92% adults in age of 20-64 in India have dental caries and 26% adults have untreated decay. It is imperative to maintain optimal dental hygiene to prevent dental caries. We spoke to Dr. Rahul Malu, lecturer, Terna Medical College, Navi Mumbai on how to prevent dental caries. He says that brushing twice a day is not sufficient. One has to rinse his or her mouth after every meal and also minimize consumption of chocolates and sweets.
1. Follow proper brushing technique-move your brush up and down and back and forth
2. Tongue should be cleaned daily
3. Limited use of floss to clear interdental spaces
4. Limited use of mouthwash-once or twice in a week
5. Consume high fiber diet to clear left off sugar practices
6. Drink lots of water