Chocolates are your ultimate resort when life has let you down. But is it all healthy?
Luckily, there are myriad reasons that make this treat nearly guilt-free. Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that can positively affect your health. The secret behind its powerful punch is cacao, also the source of the sweet's distinct taste. Packed with healthy chemicals like flavanoids and theobromine, this little bean is a health pill.
Here are a few health benefits of Dark chocolate:
- Diarrhea Relief : Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that positively affect your health. Made from the seeds of the cocoa, it contains flavanoids that can treat diarrheas. A recent study found that cocoa flavanoids bind to a protein that regulates fluid secretion in the small intestine, potentially stopping the trots in their tracks.
- Improve Eyesight : Forget carrots. Dark chocolate can improve eyesight too. It has been found that people who consumed dark chocolate with a fair amount of cocoa flavanols experienced enhanced visual performance—like detecting motion and reading low contrast letters—likely to be due to the increased blood flow to the retina and brain.
- Cough Relief : One study found that chocolate quieted coughs almost as well as codeine, thanks to the theobromine it contains. This chemical, responsible for chocolate's feel-good effect, may suppress activity in a part of the brain that triggers cough.
- Raises Good Cholesterol (HDL) : Polyphenols in cocoa powder and dark chocolate can favorably “though modestly” reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by lowering bad cholesterol (LDL)
and raising the antioxidant capacity of good cholesterol (HDL).
- Good for the brain: Flavanols reduce memory loss in older people, and the anti-inflammatory qualities of dark chocolate have been found beneficial in treating brain injuries.The healthy factors in dark chocolates help in regeneration of brain cells.